Sunday 18 November 2012

"I played on their need for a drunken, nightclubbing vamp"















"People only know me as a celebrity in show business. They don’t know how much more important art is to me compared to makeup and set costumes."

"In Italy I'm big because they're all so sex-obsessed. In Germany I succeeded because they've been waiting for someone like Marlene Dietrich to come along ever since the war. I played on their need for a drunken, nightclubbing vamp. And I've won the gays, who are crucial because they have all the best discos, entirely because of the extraordinary legends about me."

"I hate to spread rumours, but what else can one do with them?"


Amanda Lear (real name Amanda Tapp, born 18th November 1939 or 1946, in British Hong Kong, or 1950 in Saigon)

8 comments:

  1. Very nice!!! I love Amanda Lear. If your dealing with someone who was a muse of Salvador Dali, you know it's gonna be a stunning creature! And her song I Just Wanna Dance is a Monday morging staple for me honey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Miss Lear, too - sadly underrated (judging by her general lack of commercial success) in the UK, she is one of my "muses" as much as she was Dali's... Jx

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous post! And she is still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Amanda. She's still very popular in France & Italy working non stop in television & radio. She recently attacked the French theatre & was a huge hit in 2 highly acclaimed comedy plays. Intelligent & cultivated Amanda is unstoppable :)
    Btw Amanda was born Alain. Read April Ashley's bio, April mentions a certain young Alain in Paris when they both worked at a tranformists cabaret near Clichy/Pigalle. They were very close until they had a fall out. Amanda denies ever knowing April Ashley...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - she would... I have featured the enigma [geddit?!] of Ms Lear/Mr Tapp before. I believe April, don't you? Jx

      PS Welcome to my world, Jean!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the fabulous link 'de la enigma' Jon & I love camping in your both your worlds ;). Love Amanda but yes I believe April too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please, camp away - there's a lot to see! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]