Thursday 17 July 2014

Here's to the Lady Who Lunched



















“I find it easier to abstain than do a little bit of anything. I’m not a ‘little bit’ kind of dame. I want it all, whatever I do.”

“I don’t think there’s any thrill in the world like doing work you’re good at.”

“I never found anyone who could look after me as well as I could look after myself.”

“I have not had any of that surgical stuff. I am too curious to find out exactly how I progress every day of my life naturally. That is what fascinates me.”

“I could have made a lot of money doing 'Golden Girls,' and I would have been good. But the image of it! And for me to work with Betty White every day would be like taking cyanide.”

"These performers that go on about their technique and craft - oh, puleeze! How boring! I don't know what 'technique' means. But I do know what experience is."

“I’ve looked my worst, I’ve seen myself photographed badly, goodly, whatever. I’m not afraid of anything like that any more. That’s dumb, to be afraid of that. ‘Ohh, no make-up! Wait, my hair!’ Please. You know what I mean? I’m not scared of that any more in life.”

“I am not influenced by other human beings. But I am inspired.”




RIP one of the most incredible, most energetic, most inspiring women in the business we call "show" - Elaine Stritch!

We are very sad indeed.


Elaine Stritch (2nd February 1925 - 17th July 2014)

6 comments:

  1. I remember once being in New York at the Algonquin Bar in the hotel there with friends. All of a sudden you hear this raspy loud voice and laughter and it was Ms.Strich. Didn't talk to hear, but girlfriend could down the cocktails!!!!!!! Later a concierge came to help her upstairs. The next morning our table of queens ,all looking rough, brunching with hangovers, at a Chelsea eatery. In comes Ms.Strich again, and walks past with sunglasses on and says You all too huh! Priceless. I'll be drinking to her the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another apposite quote: “I was reading [a self-help book] yesterday and it said: ‘Make your own bed.’ I said to the book: ‘Fuck you! I don’t have to make my own bed! That’s why I live at the Carlyle.’ ”

      I'll drink to that! Jx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. "Why did I choose the career that I chose? I want to be talked about. I want to be written about. I want everything about me! And I don’t make any bones about that."

      And today, it is. Jx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. "For my money, insecurity, depression, etc, can be healed by way of El Morocco, sad songs at 4am, and the pop of a champagne cork."

      Amen, indeed. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]