Monday 21 December 2015

See our little lives go past



The Longest Night Of The Year
Mary Chapin Carpenter
They say that spring will come again--
No one knows exactly when.
Still the sun's a long lost friend
On the longest night of the year.

We stare into the firelight
While December beats outside
Where the darkest hearts reside
On the longest night of the year

So keep me safe and hold me tight
Let the candle burn all night
Tomorrow welcome back the night
It was longest night of the year

I used to think the world was small
Bright and shining like a ball
Seems I don't know much at all
On the longest night of the year

We press our faces to the glass
And see our little lives go past
Wave to shadows that we cast
On the longest night of the year


...It's uphill from here on!*

Winter Solstice

*From 4.38am tomorrow, to be precise

4 comments:

  1. Lovely -
    After tonight every day will get a little longer, Hooray .
    Roll on Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hardly feels like Winter yet :-) Jx

      Delete
    2. Beautiful passage. I agree Gin Blossom.....I haven't even enjoyed any hot toddies yet:(

      Delete
    3. I bet you have. I know that Todd. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]