Monday 7 December 2015

Shaved her legs and then he was a she








"If I'm wearing pants, call me a man. If I'm wearing a dress, call me a cab!"

“The boys at the baths loved me. Of course, they were all drunk and high and would've loved a French poodle barking out "Jingle Bells"!”

“I'm tired of straight people playing drag queens. Why can't drag queens play drag queens? They're talented, they're fabulous, they're gorgeous!"

“I felt like Elizabeth Taylor! Little did I realise that not only would there be no money, but that your star would flicker for two seconds and that was it. But it was worth it, the drugs, the parties, it was fabulous.”

She inspired a timeless classic...


...RIP Holly Woodlawn (born Haroldo Santiago Franceschi Rodriguez Danhakl, 26th October 1946 – 6th December 2015)!

6 comments:

  1. I know how this sounds but I didn't even realise Holly Woodlawn was still with us, which I guess is the point of the quote above about flickering stars...another trailblazer passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She (sadly) never made the big time, and her end was ignominious. It took the efforts of her friend Penny Arcade to organise a crowd-funding page to raise money to get the healthcare she needed. It raised $68,000. Jx

      Delete
  2. Earlier this year I reconnected with an old friend, turns out that for the past decade he was Holly's manager!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine if you had your reunion earlier - the evenings you could have had with Miss Woodlawn... Jx

      Delete
  3. I had her autobiography, "A Low Life in High Heels" (great title) but just looked for it on the shelf and must have given it away when I moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave it away? I thought "everybody had to pay and pay". Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]