Monday 28 December 2015

How, now, brown cow



Maggie Smith once went with Kenneth Williams to Fortnum & Masons to buy a bra. Upon being told the price, she replied "Seven Guineas! It'd be cheaper to have your tits off!"

Flying for the first time in a helicopter, she observed: "I never thought I’d look down between my legs and see Guildford."

As Desdemona to Laurence Olivier’s Othello, he, in full make-up, criticised her pronunciation; she faced off to him with a stentorian "How, now, brown cow!"

On completing her most famous role after six series: "I think the wig I wore in Downton is more tired than I am!"

As Serena McKellen has it, "Maggie's got a tongue on her."



Dame Margaret Natalie "Maggie" Smith CH DBE (born 28th December 1934)

6 comments:

  1. and bless her dear heart! maggie doesn't let ANYONE walk all over her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank heavens. There can never be another. Jx

      Delete
  3. Just released: "Maggie Smith: A Biography" by Michael Coveney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the lady herself commented to the author when she found out Mr Coveney was updating the biography: "You're digging me up again!" Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]